Why detox diet ?
Most of the people living in urban areas tend to ignore their health so often due to their hectic work schedule, most of us do not connect what we are eating and how we feel. Even if you think you’re healthy and feel good, you may not realize that your normal state is not your optimal state. You wake up less than vital, energize and joyful. People usually connect detox diet with weight loss but even if you’re thin but have symptoms of being toxic like fatigue, brain fog, headache, digestive disorders, allergies, acne; really any symptoms at all, the detox diet can help. The main reason to follow detox diet are: Removing toxins and cleaning, enhancing immune system, Regulate metabolism and restoring balance, Increase energy levels, Better cognition functioning, distress and good sleep. Following are the ways to detox your body.
- Go for fruit detox method:
Go for fruity detoxing, the digestive enzymes present in fruits will your metabolism by regulating the digestion. It will help in removing all the toxins present in liver and rejuvenate the body.
- Detoxification with fruits should not last more than 3 days.
- While fruit detoxification, opt for more colorful diet. Add different varieties and colorful fruits in your diet.
- Restrain from canned , frozen and dried fruits.
- Start the day with a glass of lemon water and keep your self hydrated all the day.
- Don’t drink caffeinated beverages and carbonated drinks.
- A protein rich salad would be a great for dinner.
- Liquid cleansing:
Liquids plays an integral role in eliminating toxins from the body. Liquids helps in cleaning the guts and replenishes metabolites. A complete liquid detox for a day would boost up the metabolism really well. Choose any of the following detox type:
- Water detox:- make sure you’re drinking 12-15 glasses of water. To make it easier try infused water strategy by infusing the water by your choice of fruits like , slices of apple, lemon, orange, mint or berries are few examples. It will add flavor in your drinking water. Completely restrict coffee, tea and carbonated beverages from your diet.
- Lemonade detox:– mix lemon juice in your water and drink it empty stomach in the morning. Do not consume more than 8 glasses of lemonade in a day. Adding cinnamon powder and honey is optional.
- Detox with fresh juices:– detoxification with fresh juice is the very good idea, you may have any of the fresh juices be it vegetable of fruit. Make sure it should not be consists of any sugar. Fresh juices contain antioxidants and digestive enzymes that helps to remove the toxins and also resist the inflammatory reactions.
- Detox with green tea:
Green tea has antioxidants that help in removing free radicals from your body. It helps in purification of blood as a detox agent. Green tea also helps to maintain the hydration level of your body.
- Sugar detox:
Sugar is one of the deadly items that always end up by building unwanted calories, it’s not fat which makes you fat but sugar. Getting rid of sugars will show it’s results instantly by energizing you. Sugar detox must be done for a period of at least 10 days. Do not exceed this diet more than that as it would end up by losing your weight by severely unhealthy manner.
- Eliminate sugary food from your cabinets and diet like white sugar, glucose, barley, brown sugar, sorbitol, maltose, xylitol etc.
- Add only one or two exchanges of sugar in your diet that too with natural sugars like honey and jaggery.
It may tend to have some complications so it would be best follow this diet under nutritional supervision and guidance. Make sure lots of cereals, plain yogurt, whole grains , fruits and vegetables in your diet.
Detoxification by fasting is an ancient but worthwhile method. It is a method in which all the food is eliminate from the diet except water, some may consider glass of milk or fruit juices occasionally. It is better to follow the fasting detox on weekends when you stay at home without much physical activity. Stick on drinking 4-5 liters of water in a day while fasting. It will trigger in weight lose and regulates blood sugar and cholesterol levels in the body.
- De-stress by meditation:
De-stress and detox by yoga and meditation. Yoga will help in mental detox and also aid in better circulation, boost in digestive tract. Stretching and breathing exercise like pranayama will help in detoxification that will further combat with stress, insomnia, mood swings and fatigue.
- Post detox diet:
Don’t switch to high calorie diet, deep-fried foods immediately after any of the detox diets. Start your normal diet with raw foods and stay hydrated.
- Get vitamins from oranges, lemons, kiwis, strawberries, tomatoes and mangoes.
- Get fibers from apples, dried peas , kidney beans, soybean, leafy vegetables.
- Get folate from spinach, melons, oranges, brocoli.
- Get good fats from eggs, coconut, olives nuts and seeds.
- Get hydration from soups, fresh juices, water.